Friday, May 27, 2011

Oh dear...

I woke up this morning and realized that tomorrow I turn another year older. To my own surprise this is the FIRST year that I've avoided the phrases, "I'm almost 24," or "I'm 23, but I'll be 24 in [insert specific amount of time here.]" The truth is, folks, I kind of dread getting any older than I already am. I find myself still dwelling upon my late teens early twenties. I wish I were still 17, or I wish I still had the body I had when I was 20. Now, as I enter my mid-twenties I know that I still have much to look forward to- getting married, possibly having children, moving around, seeing the world, having a career, etc. It's not that I'm not excited. This might sound conceited, but it's more of a physical thing.

Those who know me are aware that I'm very body conscious. I'm out to keep my 20-year-old body as long as humanly possible. However, I've noticed that as the years pile on that task gets harder and harder. I try to eat right and I work out in the confines of my tiny little room, it's just now a nice set of abs takes 6 weeks to attain instead of the usually 3. I don't know what age has to do with any of it. I used to be able to hammer out a six pack in 4 weeks eating Big Macs every day of the week. My metabolism seems to have given me the bird in recent years.

I don't want this to sound petty. I know I'm still young and things could be a LOT worse. It's just difficult to see these changes that come with age and not step back and think to yourself,

"OH DEAR... what else am I in for?"

Perhaps I think too much about the future and I need to live in the moment more- enjoy my twenties while I still have them. I can't help but wonder if anyone else felt the same way at my age. So tell me:

Did any of you have a mid-life transition period? What kind of issues did you start to dread?

Much love.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh Karah, I have to giggle at this entry because I did feel that way when I turned 24 and now that I am turning 25 this summer, I'm not sure why I felt like that. 25 is a big, scary number.... I really am in my mid-20's. bummer. I think we all freak out every year that we get older but I think what we have to take away from it is that it is better than the alternative. We should count our blessings every time we are able to turn a year older. Life is short, so enjoy it while you can and try not to stress about something you cannot change. However, as for the body thing, I don't think you have much to worry about. You still look great! It gets harder to lose weight or tone every year (at least for me, but that could just be stress) which SUCKS.... but it's still better than the alternative! :-)

Karah said...

I do consider myself fortunate for what I DO have. I need to quit worrying so much about the future and live more in the moment! That's for sure.